The Local Organising Committee (LOC) invites proposals for Special Sessions.
The LOC invites proposals for Special Sessions that seek to create opportunities to delve deeper into specific subject areas of research or policy, facilitate engaging discussions, and provide interactive experiences for participants. Special Sessions will be scheduled 7 – 9 February 2024. We encourage you to submit proposals for innovative and exciting session formats that go beyond traditional presentations, such as panel discussions, mini-symposia, roundtable talks, case studies, debates, and more. Examples of innovative formats include, but are not limited to:
- Expert presentations followed a panel discussion (Q&A format)
- Provocateur-Respondent format to encourage exploration of different perspectives on a particular theme or policy challenge.
- Ignite presentations: A set of concise presentations (usually 5 minutes) followed by an extended discussion session.
- PechaKucha 20x20 format to encourage use of visuals and high-level ideas followed by extended discussion session.
Submissions will be accepted until Monday 9 October 2023.
More detail on submitting a Special Session proposal can be accessed here.
Submissions will only be accepted via Oxford Abstracts: Submit here
For the submission process, you will be asked to provide the following:
Title and Presenter Details
Special Session Description (500 words or less)
This description will appear in the Conference Program. You may wish to prepare this description by addressing the following:
- Theme: Provide an overview of the specific topics or themes that will be addressed during your session.
- Format: Describe the format and structure of your Special Session, highlighting any interactive elements or audience engagement strategies.
- Presenter(s) Details: Include a brief overview of the presenters (e.g., names and affiliations) or panellists involved in the session.
Special Session Format and Presenter Roles (500 words or less): This detail will not appear in the Conference Program. Special Sessions will be allocated timeslots of either 1 hour, or 1.5 hours. Please specify which of these timeslots is most appropriate for your session. Please include details of the time allocated to each presenter, whether there will be a discussion panel, who will chair the session and so forth. For example, identify whether the session entails a set of speakers presenting papers on the designated theme, several “headline” speakers and selected discussants, short presentations from a panel of speakers followed by a general discussion or a Q&A session, or some other configuration.
Special Session Funding and Sponsorship (500 words or less)
Please detail any request for funding to support attendance of presenters in the session (e.g., complimentary conference registration, travel expenses, accommodation). The LOC cannot guarantee availability of funding to support attendance of presenters. Requests are most likely to be successful where the proposed presenter is considered to be an event 'drawcard', and where the request for funding is modest. Outline any opportunities for sponsorship of the session. This is particularly relevant where funding is requested to support presenter attendance. It is the responsibility of the session organiser to seek sponsorship, but please liaise with Nikki Dumbrell from the 2024 AARES LOC to exclude the possibility of multiple requests to the same potential sponsor.
Special Session Promotion Strategy (optional, 500 words or less)
Proposals that have a well-developed strategy for marketing their event will be warmly received.